To become a member, all you need is a library card. If you don’t have one yet, get one for free!
- You'll need to present your library card to borrow items and use public computers and devices. If you've forgotten your library card, you can use an appropriate piece of identification to borrow items.
- You can borrow items from any of our locations and return them to any of our locations.
- Use our self-check machines for contact-free borrowing.
- You can search our collection online and place items on hold to pick up in person.
If you prefer to access our collections without having to come into your local branch, please try our Take-Out Service.
Bring it Back! December 1 - 31
Bring back any OPL items during the month of December, and we'll waive the late fees on them! Contact your local branch for details. Or call the Library at (905) 579-6111.
How long can you keep items?
Loan periods vary depending on the type of item you're borrowing. When you borrow an item, we'll offer you a receipt with a due date.
You'll need to return all items borrowed on your library card on time. Items kept longer than 30 days without being renewed will be considered lost and charged to the customer's account.
|Books and audiobooks (5 renewals)||3 weeks|
|eBooks and eAudiobooks (1 renewal)|
|Wi-Fi Hotspots (no renewals)||7 days|
|Magazines (5 renewals)|
|Museum Passes (1 renewal)|
|DVDs, Blu-Rays, and video games (5 renewals)|
|Fast Reads (no renewals)|
Kids and Teen items are Fine-Free!
Great news — Oshawa Public Libraries has made children and teen items fine-free as part of an all-new pilot initiative! Recognizing how important it is for kids to have access to their public library, OPL has eliminated late fees on kids and teen library items such as books, DVDs, and games.
Please note that charges for lost or damaged items will remain the responsibility of all cardholders.
|Adult Collection||Per day|
|Books and audiobooks, non-fiction DVDs||$0.25|
|Tablets, Fast Reads, feature film DVDs, video games, Blu-rays, museum and recreation passes, Wi-fi hotspots||$1.00|
If you want to keep an item after its due date, you may have the option to renew (extend the number of days that you can borrow the item).
- Most items can be renewed up to 5 times.
- You cannot renew items that have been requested by another Library customer.
- Items that are eligible to be renewed can be renewed up to and including the return date of the item. Overdue items can also be renewed if they are eligible.
- If you have more than 10 items overdue on your card, you will need to contact the Library at (905) 579-6111, ext. 5258, to renew if they are eligible.
To check due dates or renew items, you can:
- Log in to your account online
- Visit or call any of our locations
- Call the Library at (905) 579-6111, ext. 5258